Phoebus 625

Discussion in 'Phoebus' started by Greeley, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Greeley

Greeley United States Subscriber

PhoebusC.JPG

PhoebusA.JPG

PhoebusB.JPG

Hope to take this on my next canoe trip!

Tom

2. DAC

Nice stove and the can looks great. But wait a minute, it reads "For Camping Climbing Driving Fishing". I don't know about canoeing with it. Probably won't work. Would void the warrantee for sure. ;)

3. Greeley

Greeley United States Subscriber

I’ve been searching for a Phoebus 625 or its Phoenix clone since reading Cliff Jacobson’s book “Canoeing Wild Rivers”. In his discourse on expedition stoves he states: “...the Phoebus, with its powerful silent burner, runs very hot and quiet. Its windscreen is a bit awkward but effective. This is a proven expedition stove.” Jacobson also states that it will soot up quickly if primed with gasoline, not meths.

So, maybe I should find a life jacket for it.:p

4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Morning, Greeley,

Congrats on your 625 score!! The 625 is a wonderful stove, and well worth seeking out, fettling, and using!!! I think you will enjoy using it, as have I, and would recommend using a folding windscreen with it, in addition to the one that comes with your stove. Did you change out your NRV and SRV pips, as well as any and all gaskets? If not, you should do that straight away, to be safe, as the old pips and gaskets get quite hard in time and use, and when that happens, they no longer function as designed to do. Otherwise, enjoy your lovely 625!!!! Thanks for sharing it with us, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc (who has four of those 625's, and needs to dust them off, and use them at a future CASG, or camping trip!!)