Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherrygirl5

N daylilies 2018

Let’s see your N daylilies. Quote of the day: “ I think my soulmate might be carbs!”.

Night Embers is one of just a few doubles I have. I like it because it’s a neat double and an unusual dark red. It’s fairly tall here despite growing in too much shade.
Northwind Dancer is very new here, had a few blooms last summer. I’m hoping it gets close to its registered height soon, it was only pushing 2 feet ; (
Notify Ground Crew was abused by me, I moved it last spring and it wasn’t happy. This photo was taken at about 4pm, blooms not fully opened yet. Hoping it does better this season.

Sherry

Comments (43)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    6 years ago

Sherry: I like that Night Embers. Great pairing with the dark leaved Heuchera........The only N I can think of right now is an Emmerich I received as a bonus last year. Picture was taken at mid morning so the color is especially vivid.

NO MORE TEARS

Maryl

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
  • daylilybedmaker
    6 years ago

Here are the N's that I grow:

NEON FLAMINGO: New last year. Scapes were shorter, but the blooms are rather large.

NEW COVENANT: Also new last year.

NIGHT SHIFT: I love the black edge on this one.

NIGHT WINGS: The darkest daylily I grow.

NILE CRANE: Tall and stately. Blooms early and for a long time.

NINE INCH NAILS: Fantastic plant. Blooms for a long time. Scapes are thick. I can't speak to it's fertility, as I have yet to try and hybridize with it. I think I will have to change that this year.

NORDIC NIGHT: Great older Munson.

NORTH POLE: New last year. So far I like what I see. Should put on a good show this summer.

NORTHERN FANCY: New last year.

That is all that I grow with the letter N

Thanks for looking,

David

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked daylilybedmaker
  • Brad KY 6b
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

David, I really like Nordic Night and Neon Flamingo.

North Wind Dancer. Fairly new for me too. Did fairly well, but looking forward to it really taking off like others have said it does. It is my only N.

Brad

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Brad KY 6b
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Brad, we will have to compare notes on Northwind Dancer this season. David, I like Night Shift, the edge IS cool! Maryl, that’s a nice bonus bloom, looks like a beauty of a bitone!

Sherry

• avedon_gw
    6 years ago

Night Dreams, this small flowered Stamile does really well for us. It has a longer bloom time than Star Child.

Northfield, more often than not a multibloom flower here. Boom period starts around first week of June and lasts through the fall. It is fragrant, too.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked avedon_gw
  • hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    6 years ago

Our 2 clumps of North Wind Dancer were beautiful last summer. I can see why it won the Stout Medal. Both of our clumps started from a single fan and took awhile to get established.

Natural Affinity is rather new to the garden.

Never Too Late is an excellent very late bloomer.

New Tangerine Twist is one of our favorites.

No Mans Land is new to the garden.

Now or Never is a southern bred that likes our climate.

Nowata Star has a nice big bloom.

That's all for me.

Nancy

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
  • signet_gw(6b)
    6 years ago

Nutmeg Elf

New Series

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked signet_gw(6b)
  • peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    6 years ago

Night Beacon normally a great performer but too much rain this year.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    6 years ago

Nan: Are you sure that's tangerine twist? You know I like those oranges, so looked it up and it shows a 1984 double from Joiner. Whatever yours is I like it a lot. You grow some nice oranges and yellows. Two of my favorite colors.............Maryl

• shive
    6 years ago

I'm drawn to the dark ones here - Night Embers and Night Wings.

Neon Flamingo

No Boys Allowed

Nordic Soul

Natalie Antoinette

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    6 years ago

Maryl, we grow Tangerine Twist too, but the one I posted is New Tangerine Twist. It's a Klehm and an excellent grower in our garden.

Nancy

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
  • signet_gw(6b)
    6 years ago

Perenn.all

Does Night Beacon grow to registered height for you? Mine NEVER gets to the 27 inches as registered . I also find it is virtually identical to Metrosexual with the exception of height .

• signet_gw(6b)
    6 years ago

Debra No Boys Allowed is just beautiful;

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    6 years ago

signet Night Beacon does reach registered height for me. My it is extremely similar to Metrosexual isn't it. Do you think NB is a tad darker? It would be interesting to grow them side by side just to see what difference there is if any.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • celeste/NH
    6 years ago

NANCY BRITZ

NOT TONIGHT JOSEPHINE

NEFERTITI

NOBLE LORD

NOWHERE TO HIDE

NIGHT EMBERS (with Gentle Rose in background)

last set to follow.....

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste/NH
  • signet_gw(6b)
    6 years ago

peren.all yes there is a touch difference in the shade of purple but almost negligible . I grow them about 3 feet apart which is why I noticed the many similarities. However Metrosexual is only registered at 18 inches but with my Night Beacon not growing to 27 " it is really hard to distinguish the differences ,

• signet_gw(6b)
    6 years ago

Celeste ......I love Nowhere to Hide

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Celeste, I see a definite color difference in our Night Embers. Yours is definitely purplish, I don’t see any purple in mine, very interesting!

Sherry

• tarheelgirl_7b
    6 years ago

I have a few N’s in my garden:

NANCY’S QUILT - 2016 photo. Low bud count in its first two seasons.

NICOLE’S AMERICAN BEAUTY - splotchy blooms last year, its second year

NORTHERN NOCTURNE - starts out pale pink, blooms turn a melon color by the end of the day

NIGHT OF KNIGHTS - added last summer

Thanks for looking!

Lori

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked tarheelgirl_7b
  • celeste/NH
    6 years ago

signet_gw.......Yes, my Night Embers does have a touch of purple and if you look at my Night Beacon it is also purplish-black. Most everything I grow wants to be purple....haha. And speaking of Night Beacon, you asked about height. Mine grows to over 27 inches. I know it's not short because it is taller than Gavin Petit behind it (which is 27") and I have to move it. I am surprised that you like Nowhere to Hide. To me, it's a weird looking daylily...lol. But I keep it because that thing is a blooming machine. But it IS very distinctive in the garden; there's nothing else quite like it. I guess this summer I will be more appreciative of it knowing someone likes it.

I found another shot of Night Embers in full sun where it looks a 'little more red' but still wants to be purple:

• signet_gw(6b)
    6 years ago

Celeste, that explains it , LOL! If it's weird , I like it . That is why I grow Pink Stripes (large stripes ....although I am not wild about the mix of pink and red ..well sort of red) , Pitter Patter ( a real polka dotted daylily) , Wigged Out ( not really any blooms just oodles of plants growing on top of the plant) ....I have a seedling I bought at a nursery near here that looks a lot like Nowhere to Hide only it is brown . So yep, I like the weird ones.

I guess I will have to move Night Beacon somewhere else to see if I can get some height out of it , the only other alternative is to turf it .

Wonder what is in your soil that makes your purples so intense . Whatever it is , it sure does a lovely job.

• DebbieON zn4-5
    6 years ago

Nairobi Night

Nell Dean

Neon Flamingo

Night Beacon

Nile Plum

No Blue Oxfords

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked DebbieON zn4-5
  • DebbieON zn4-5
    6 years ago

New Series

Northwind Billet Doux

No Blue Oxfords - another photo, plant is in heavy shade

• celeste/NH
    6 years ago

Sherry, my apologizes.....I went back and read YOUR comment about Night Embers, mistaking you for Signet.....but I see you saw my comment and photo anyway.

(this is what happens when I try to go on the computer while babysitting the grandkids....lol)

DebbieOn, Northwind Billet Doux is lovely!

• DebbieON zn4-5
    6 years ago

Thank you Celeste, it is new, we will see how it does, supposed to have a high bud count.

• Brad KY 6b
    6 years ago

Again I say that I just love Neon Flamingo. Night Beacon seems to work out for a lot of you. For me, it was a dud. Only a very few blooms year after year. Nothing helped so I got rid of it. Those few [and I mean FEW] were very pretty, though.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Brad KY 6b
  • signet_gw(6b)
    6 years ago

DebbieOn love the pics of all the daylilies but one . No Blue Oxfords color combo is one I just cant get myself to like . There are many pink with red/deep pink centers out there and I cant make myself like a single one. I always think , Mother Nature knows best but on this color combo , I think she must have been out drinking when she put those colors together LOL !

Now Northwind Billet Doux by comparison is just spectacular and Neon Flamingo well , such intense pink color ...just lovely

• samhain10 - 5a
    6 years ago

Celeste - add me to the list of NOWHERE TO HIDE lovers - that veining is unique and beautiful to me. I also really like your Nancy Britz and everyone's various shades of Night Embers. The other that is a knockout for me is Neon Flamingo.

Alex

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked samhain10 - 5a
  • AaronK79
    6 years ago

Newberry Orange Tip

Newberry Touch

Night Embers

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked AaronK79
  • Pat
    6 years ago

NANKI-POO - Lambert 1981 (3.5" daylily)

NANO PROBE - tiny plant, mini flower - reblooms in northern VA

NEON FLAMINGO

NICOLE'S MELTS MY HEART - reblooms here

NIGHT RAPTURE - reblooms here

NILE CRANE - sometimes reblooms here

NO BLUE OXFORDS - one of the parents of William Delorey (named for my dad). I think it may have been the source of the strong, upright branching. If you need to test pollen for fertility, put it on this plant as it sets pods extremely easily.

NO ORDINARY CHILD - Emmerich, pretty new here. I see no faults.

NORTHWOOD NAUGHTY OR NICE - quite new here still

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Pat
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    6 years ago

99, Nanki-Poo is such a lovely oldie, I hope it’s staying in your garden, I know I’ve not seen it before.

Sherry

• signet_gw(6b)
    6 years ago

daylily99 would love to know where you found Nanki-poo . I am always on the hunt for John Lambert daylilies

• Pat
    6 years ago

Hi Signet, I checked my records (sometimes I keep good ones) and I got this and Persiflage (another Lambert) from a trade made in 1998. We can most likely arrange for you to get some from me if you want to write to me directly. daylilly99 at cox.net.

Pat

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Pat
  • Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    6 years ago

You know what interests me is Nile Crane. At first I thought it was a typo and should be Niles Crane after the character on Frasier. But I see it's a Munson registered in 1978, so that's way before the sitcom (one of my absolute favorites). Do you think there were two such "unique" names around, one attached to a real person? Alas, I doubt we will ever know.............Maryl

• samhain10 - 5a
    6 years ago

Maryl - it may not be a person's name at all, but instead is a reference to the bird. There is a Uganda Crested Crane that is quite a showy water fowl. Perhaps Munson had been there and seen it.

Alex

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked samhain10 - 5a
  • signet_gw(6b)
    6 years ago

Pat I have sent you a private message

• DebbieON zn4-5
    6 years ago

samhain and maryl, I always thought the name indicated the cranes (birds) of the Nile River in Africa.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    6 years ago

Ah Ha! Of course Nile Crane = a bird on the river Nile. Makes a lot of sense. I've watched Frasier re-runs way too long-lol...............Maryl

• Maria 4a zone St.Peterburg,Russia
    6 years ago

Neon Flamingo-My favorite not only of R... Very big and tall, without sun ...

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Maria 4a zone St.Peterburg,Russia
  • mantis__oh
    6 years ago

Does anyone grow Needles in a Haystack?

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked mantis__oh
  • mantis__oh
    6 years ago

Noble Lord --Moldovan

Nobel --nice Dougherty

Native Reflection --doesn't like heat

Natalie Antoinette --not fast multiplier
    Navajo Warrior --we'll see; takes a good picture....

• mantis__oh
    6 years ago

No Blue Oxfords --very nice plant