Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
riddhesh94

Have a bunch of Hoyas that need to be identified

Riddhesh
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hey guys, since the past month I've been searching for hoyas crazily. They are not easy to find where I live. Finally, I found a seller who's selling them at a reasonable rate. The only problem is the seller has no idea what their names are, there are only pictures of its foliage.

I'm looking particularly for fragrant flowering hoyas, so if anyone can identify these hoyas it would be very appreciated!

Comments (11)

• Riddhesh
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Just fixed the images...

• Monica bf N. Carolina zone 7B
    7 years ago

Your Hoyas are beautiful.

Riddhesh thanked Monica bf N. Carolina zone 7B
  • Riddhesh
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you so much!

• Riddhesh
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Could anyone help me identify this hoya?

• aurorawa
    7 years ago

Best guess without leaf pics is pottsii 'Chiang Mai' (based upon flower coloration and darker yellow corolla tips). It really looks most like a pottsii. Pachyclada has rounder corona lobes, incrassata has darker corolla tips, and although it fits acuta/verticillata/parasitica in flower shape, I have yet to see one with different colored corolla tips.

Without the leaves, it is very difficult to ID, unless the flower is unique.

Riddhesh thanked aurorawa
  • Riddhesh
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi, I went ahead and purchased the #4 and #6 Hoyas which are Lacunosa splash (sno caps) and Elliptica respectively. Here are the pictures of it. Is there a reason why the elliptica's leaves are so light and faded? The lacunosa's leaves seem to be half covered by the potting mix (seems to be a mix of coco peat and coco chips) , is it fine if it remains that deep?

Also, I purchased an another hoya which was labelled as Hoya verticillata Lao/ Hoya Parasitica Lao. But comparing it to images on the internet, it looks nothing alike. Any idea what it might be? Here's a photo I took

• aurorawa
    7 years ago

Ok...that first one is not a hoya.

Elliptica got sunburned (it should never be grown in full sun). The leaves may or may not fall off. Keep in bright, filtered sun (such as a west or south facing window with sheer curtains).

The last Hoya is not sp. Laos (verticillata). It is Hoya densifolia (it could also be Hoya cumingiana, but leaves are more egg shaped than H. cumingiana).

• Riddhesh
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the help again...fortunately the seller has agreed to replace the Elliptica. He says it may have gotten heat damaged while shipping.

The first one's not even a hoya?! That's a bummer..but it's leaves look kinda cool, I guess. It's even got a cool purple variegation under the leaves

The last one does look like a densifolia/cumingiana.. when I asked the seller about the plant he was 100% confident that it's a H. verticillata lao since the plant bloomed many times in his nursery and the plant sent was grown from a cutting. He even sent me a picture of the plant in bloom....do you know any hoya that has a similar bloom and leaf structure compared to what I've received?

• aurorawa
    7 years ago

There are only THREE hoyas that have similar leaf structure as the one the seller is calling verticillata sp. Lao.

It is NOT verticillata, of that I can assure you.

Of the three it could be, ASSUMING the seller is not misrepresenting his blooms, we can rule out densifolia, which has blooms like this:

Hoya cumingiana has similar (but smaller) blooms as densifolia, so we can also rule it out.

Now, the 3rd possibility is Hoya golamcoiana, a plant I have personally, and absolutely LOVE:

Now, from the flower photo your seller sent, I'd go with the ID of Hoya golamcoiana.

THIS is what Hoya verticillata (sp. Lao) looks like:

And flowers:

• aurorawa
    7 years ago

This:

is Aeschynanthus marmoratus, common name lipstick plant.

Sponsored