Ultrasone HFI-580 Unboxing and First Impressions
Apr 14, 2011 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

jbl772

100+ Head-Fier
Okay so I don't know all the technical details about headphones, but I noticed there's no posts of unboxing any HFI-580's! So I decided to make one.  Forgive me if it seems amateur-ish :)

So I ordered mine off of Digital Pavilion Electronics off of Amazon for $150.46, and ran into a bit of trouble getting them shipped to my house. 

Eventually, they finally arrived and my first impressions were...."WOW these are HUGE!" I didn't expect them to be as big as they were, but they can still be used for portable use (or at least I think they can)

PLEASE EXCUSE MY PHOTOGRAPHY I SUCK x)

UNBOXING!!!!
 ​
The box:

Opening the box, you get the headphones themself, a nice carrying case, and the instruction booklet + demo CD.

The headphones in the cardboard still:

The transportation bag:

The instructions + demo CD:

Headphones off of cardboard:

Close-up:

Headphone folded up:

Headphone folded up again (side view):

Okay since I don't know a LOT about headphones, I'll try to keep this simple:

Comfort and Build Quality
The headphones are built very solid.  They do not feel like they are going to break at any instant or snap.  The side of the headphones have a nice shiny effect that looks very nice.  Warning: The earpads DO make your ears very hot.  I've been wearing them for about 15 minutes and they're already making my ears very warm.  They do a good job at blocking out outside sound and don't have a lot of sound leakage.

Sound Quality
Okay, so this sound quality review is without any burn-in time at all. To be honest, the headphones do sound like they need a lot of burning-in.  I read on many reviews that the bass is tremendous on these headphones, and I don't hear that "tremendous" bass yet.  The bass isn't really high yet, but I'm hoping it will improve as they get burned in.  The mids sound okay to me (of course I'm not a super audiophile), but the highs are a bit harsh and hurt my ears at some point.  Cymbals, especially, are very harsh and high pitched right now.  As I said, these should improve as they get burned in.

Miscellaneous
-The headphones are big, they are not so big that they can't be used for portable use, but to some it may bother them.  So look up some more images and research more if you are worried they might be too big for your taste.

Sorry if this review seems lame or crappy to you!!!

This is my first impressions of the Ultrasone HFI-580's without burn-in time and unamped. I probably will add more onto this when I get them burned in, so if you're interested check back!

Thanks!

EDIT: (2 hour burn-in)
Okay so I've listened to them for about two hours with an iPod Touch 4G and a Fiio E5 amp.  I can begin to hear the headphones open up.  The highs are still a bit harsh, but the lows and bass are starting to open up.

EDIT: (About 11 hour burn-in)
Not a big change, the lows are really starting to open up, but I can tell they're not at their full potential yet.  Highs are still a bit harsh.

EDIT: (About 100 hour burn-in)
I can finally hear the difference between the 100 hour burn-in sound and the fresh-out-of-the-box sound.  The highs are no longer harsh, and the sound in general has excellent clarity (I listen to mostly rock/metal so I can really hear the clarity).  I'm not sure about instrument separation, as I'm a musician myself, so I have always been able to hear every sound/instrument in a song.  As I'm only listening to these with a small cheap e5 and my iPod, I don't hear the extreme bass and lows, but as I've heard I'm sure they're there with the right equipment.  I plan to buy a DAC and amp soon, once I get some spare cash.

Just listened to Rusko - Everyday (Netsky Remix)...WOW amazing bass in this song.  Still searching for that amazing bass in hiphop/rap though :frowning2:

EDIT: (About 600 hour burn-in)
The headphones are finally getting to their full potential.  I've heard the sound quality changing (changing meaning keeps getting better!) throughout the burn-in period, and the bass sounds amazing.  These are indeed for electronic, they sound best with that but they do in fact sound just as good with every other genre.  I highly recommend these cans :)

Apr 15, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #2 of 15
keep postin your continued impressions, lookin forwards

Apr 15, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #3 of 15

EDIT: (About 11 hour burn-in)
Not a big change, the lows are really starting to open up, but I can tell they're not at their full potential yet.  Highs are still a bit harsh.

Apr 15, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 15
I got used to the pads in about a week when the pad moulded around my ear shape and it was alright.  You can buy the DT 250 velour pads if you need more comfort tho it is suppose to change the sound a bit.

Also, what music are you listening to on it?

Apr 16, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #5 of 15
I heard about changing the pads, I think I might switch them because they make my ears and head really hot haha.

I've been listening to all sorts of music, rock metal rap hip hop dubstep drum & bass trance electronic you name it.

Listened with my iPod alone, Fiio e5 + iPod, my computer (I have a HT Omega Striker sound card)

Apr 16, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #6 of 15
Yeah try to use it for at least a week before deciding.  I thought it was too hot myself and pretty unbearable at times and bought the DT250 'cos of it.  Then by the time the DT250 pads arrived I've gotten used to the pleather.

If you start listening to trance more, you'll really notice the effect as it changes.  Try the State of Trance - 501 mix.  Ultrasone seem to have a pretty long burn in and kept changing a long while after I got them.

oh just want to ask... do you notice any difference using the e5?  Quite happy with my sones unamped and wondered if getting an amp would help it much?

Apr 16, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #7 of 15
Alright, thanks for the tip I'll wait and see how it is after a week or so.

I've been planning to shorten the cable though, its way too long for portable use haha.

As far as the e5...it isn't a powerful amp at all, and I think its main use is the bass booster, other than that it doesn't have much effect.  I just switched between listening with the e5 (without bass booster) and unamped and I didn't hear any difference.  Maybe with a stronger, real amp there might be a big difference, not sure though to be honest.

Just out of curiosity, what Ultrasones do u have? the DJ1 pros?

Apr 16, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #9 of 15
How are you planning to shorten the cable?
I agree that it is way too long for use in general.

I just bought the pro 900 from ebay, hopefully I'll still find these still enjoyable 

Apr 16, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #10 of 15
Damn the Pro900's are really good I think. My cousin used to have them I think they're pretty beast cuz he was a big headphone guy :p

I was going to cut the wire, and then solder it to a new plug.

Too bad Ultrasone didn't make the switch to their detachable 3 foot cables in the HFI series -__- 

I think the Pro and DJ series have those, no?

Apr 16, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #11 of 15
Apr 19, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #14 of 15
Updated:

EDIT: (About 100 hour burn-in)
I can finally hear the difference between the 100 hour burn-in sound and the fresh-out-of-the-box sound.  The highs are no longer harsh, and the sound in general has excellent clarity (I listen to mostly rock/metal so I can really hear the clarity).  I'm not sure about instrument separation, as I'm a musician myself, so I have always been able to hear every sound/instrument in a song.  As I'm only listening to these with a small cheap e5 and my iPod, I don't hear the extreme bass and lows, but as I've heard I'm sure they're there with the right equipment.  I plan to buy a DAC and amp soon, once I get some spare cash.

Just listened to Rusko - Everyday (Netsky Remix)...WOW amazing bass in this song.  Still searching for that amazing bass in hiphop/rap though :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back