3 new Ultrasone Signature Headphones: Master, Natural and Pulse
Oct 14, 2022 at 3:51 AM Post #61 of 458
Packaging:
Premium feeling unboxing experience. In the box is a booklet of the Signature lineup, flipping to the page for the Natural offers a description of their goal. Below that is a big zippered case containing the headphone, three cables (one coiled w/ 6.35mm plug, and two with 3.5mm plug; one with a mic, one plain), and a pair of replacement pads. I like the length of the plain cable, it's not too long or too short.
20221012_143744.jpg
20221012_144028.jpg
20221012_144616.jpg
20221012_144704.jpg

Build quality:
No complaints, everything feels well made including the case and cables.

Comfort:
Firm clamping force, but never became uncomfortable. It feels light for its size, worn it felt weighty a little bit over time, albeit in one long sitting. The headband foam is hard, but this was only putting pressure on my head if I wore it angled back, after rotating the headband so it sits toward the center top of my head and adding a notch to the length of the adjusters for reach there was no discomfort. Also the clamping of the pads helps hold the headphone up so the headband is not just weighing down.

Sound:

Dap: QLS QA361
Firmware: WAV v1.0.6
Filter Settings: Super Slow roll off, Mellow
Amp Settings: High Gain, Double High voltage and current
Volume: 18, 19, 20
20221013_032647.jpg
I listened for 5 hours these 5 albums back to back out of the box:

1. Sunik Kim - Zero Chime mastering Rashad Becker (24/44.1)
Unexpected separation, propulsion, the tracks are rendered with so much shape, really textured and spread. The sounds are planted yet there is no plodding.​
2. Swans - The Seer (16/44.1)
The quiet can be heard between drum hits of drum rolls. Microdynamics - fluctuations in volume like tremolos even if slow, slight, at a low level and with neighboring loud sounds are audible. Easy to pick apart overlapping voices. Ending of Avatar demonstrates grip without being a bass headphone. Continuous bright cymbal sections without harshness and I'm upper mid to treble sensitive. I've heard these tracks many times and through iems yet I'm hearing new sounds, shouldn't they be the ones that are detailed? Flourishes in Song for a Warrior and A Piece of the Sky glimmer with all these little notes that are distinguishable yet not disconnected. The drum solo that ends the album is rendered echoic and with tactile speed.​
3. Rosey Blue - Swans (24/48)
Detailed vocals, the tongue and lips become audible, you can hear the start and end of sounds. Acoustic guitars pop. The slowly-rising-in-volume drum hits that start the second track are immediate and swarm the space, the bass quality is heard at this part. Sounds feel like they are playing in a space. The Tower is delivered with emotion. The headphones place you in the center of songs, no exception for the last track The World.​
4. Desperate Journalist - Maximum Sorrow! (16/44.1)
The guitars, drums and vocals sound so good here, which is really all there are. The production on Fault sounds so crunchy.​
5. Charlemagne Palestine - Ding Dong Ding vs Sing Song Sing microphones Knif Audio (24/96)
The subtle tempo changes and the percussive and tonal qualities are relayed very well. It is fast and direct. The bells are loud and clear, the voice sounds large and everything reverberant.​

• Very good left right channel separation, and if a sound needs to be in the center or between the center and the sides then it can be. There is no rocky transition or hole in panning, as evidenced by the wide vocal pan in one of the Desperate Journalist tracks.
• Sounds can be located e.g. to the right of and below the center.
• Very good instrument size meaning sounds can be large and still have a center, small, so large they fill the space and form ambience, and sizes inbetween.
• Texture of individual sounds, and with separation there is texture from the whole mix of sounds.
• Sounds are tangible and solid without hardness.
• The frequency response does not bring attention to itself and the sounds feel let through with a wholeness. The headphones I've been using previous to this have high treble tones that will sound at the same time as other sounds, yet they feel disconnected. I am glad to come back to a single driver headphone.
• Tonal variation.
• Vocals do not feel at the forefront, in the background, nor middled. There is good vocal presentation as they are between the middle and very front. Good focus.

Noise, rock, and loud bells, 5 continuous hours, an exciting and stimulating sound from the headphone, yet no fatigue... I could have kept going but it was late and I was tired, but only because it kept me up, it is not a soporific sound. While I set different volumes, once set I did not have to change them from the beginning to the end of a given album. I come from hearing headphones with a Harman curve, this one seems more diffuse.

Pros: All of the above. I want to emphasize the speed which makes the drums sound memorable and amounts to articulation for instruments percussive or not. Good timbre and extension.
Cons: Slightly muffled, not a boundless sensation to the soundstage (granted it's a closed back), somewhat of a 'boxed-in' sound.
I'm sure the titanium coating, neodymium, and S-logic are contributive toward the pros, and break-in and different sources can move away from the cons.

I'd be glad I got this even if at the regular price.
Have fun with your new Ultrasone!

After about 200 hours of burn-in time, the disadvantages you mentioned are gone!

Oct 15, 2022 at 12:23 AM Post #62 of 458
Last written impressions until after burn in and new desktop system.

Listened to 5 albums again last night but this time 3 hrs elapsed. This was still working off the full charge that was for the first listen, and at the same highest amp settings. Once again the same volume setting was kept throughout an album.

1. Bladee - Exeter
I get the feeling that the bass on this album is meant to sound as if it's coming from a subwoofer, and with this headphone both the range and the texture is relayed. It does not feel awkward listening to this for the two reasons there could otherwise be; lacking bass, harsh reproduction. My previous headphones made this sound somewhat harsh and thin and without as much detail.​
2. Radiohead - The King of Limbs
What people usually say about this album is that the live version is better and the studio version is over produced, which is how I felt for a long time. Recently I've come to like the studio version more because of its detailed and off-kilter sound, and this headphone supports that. The studio version could sound limp or brittle, but here sounds substantial and with pep. I meant to mention before that songs have a drive, you cannot really ignore that the headphones are playing. There are lots of vocals layers that echo and fade gradually and these are not obstructed. You can follow sounds easily, not just if you try. Again I am hearing new sounds. In Lotus Flower you can tell that Thom Yorke is saying "habit" where before it wasn't as clear. T's are well pronounced.​
3. Laura Moisio - Spiraali
In the intro, the chordal tintinnabulations begin with a tick and then ring out rounder notes, the vinyl pop-esque sound effects are textural. I am able to make out the layers in the title track and the echo effect can be followed as in TKOL. I listen with my eyes closed, and in the track Aamu when the electric piano came in they opened right up. In the male female vocal harmony on the second track the voices sound intimately and neither one is emphasized. The details in the way the Finnish language is articulated were new.​
4. Phyllis Chen and Nathan Davis - The Other Mozart
This shows just how good the extension is. Tiny treble notes don't blend and everything sounds so glittery and free, it never gets sour. It has the same quality as the midrange, that is, sounds don't become more grainy or smoothed out into the treble. Dream of St. Cecelia shows the bass capability with these surges of subbass. The binaural-esque panoramic compositions starting with the opener shows off the spatiality.​
5. powerdove - bitter banquet
This a display of the midrange with a myriad of classical keyboard instruments. The clavichord sounds bold, notes have body and are not thin, the sound is resonant, the fizzy/buzzy metallic sound of the string is heard, and the sound is dynamical. The breakdown at the end of Megara did not sound congested.​

I forgot to say before that for what vocal detail and focus there is, there is no sibilance.

20221014_030113.jpg

For the desktop system, I am waiting for the digital cable to arrive. It will be the following:
Plug Adapter: https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-Amp-125-Volt-AC-3-Outlet-Heavy-Duty-Adapter-Ivory-54203/203735807
EU to US Voltage Adapter (for dac): https://www.lightbulbs.com/product/general-82192
Power Supply: Fidelizer Nikola2 w/ USB C cable
Transport: QLS QA361 (charging switch off, digital out on, WAV v1.0.6 FW)
Digital Cable (soundaware mr1/4-pole 3.5mm): https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832598876403.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.1d724227SdYETF&algo_pvid=c2f9c354-7be3-4973-8d1c-cd0b1681822f&algo_exp_id=c2f9c354-7be3-4973-8d1c-cd0b1681822f-29&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"66371903897"}&pdp_npi=2@dis!USD!21.99!20.23!!!!!@210318b916658068203608632eca15!66371903897!sea&curPageLogUid=OC0LNhC3sHwv
Dac: Audio Exklusiv P 0.8 (PCM 1792, discrete SE NFB-free Class A output stage)
RCA: Surf Cables LLC Solid Silver (silver wire, solder, and plugs)
Amp: TCA HPA-10 (1.25 W into 32 Ohm)
Headphone: Ultrasone Signature Natural (32 Ohm)

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 2:10 AM Post #63 of 458
For anyone that owned the Ultrasone Signature DJ, which new model would you consider to be the best upgrade? Would the DXP DJ be a better choice than the Pulse? Or would the Master be the best, assuming that you're willing to boost bass to Signature DJ levels using parametric EQ?

In conjunction with EqualizerAPO (or equivalent), the Signature DJ has the capability to serve dual purposes as a bass monster for gaming and fun, and a more accurate audio listening experience when needed. The Signature DJ has few audio issues, especially in the midrange and high end, requiring less "help" when EQing it. You can listen to the SDJ for 8+ hours straight without fatigue, which is not true of older products, like the Ultrasone Pro 900.

Looking at these three new models, I don't see a modern equivalent to the Signature DJ. The Pulse has 50mm drivers like the DJ, but it's half the price of the SDJ. It lacks the sheepskin ear pads, which isn't a big deal in itself, but it may indicate a reduction in quality in other areas. Going off Dobrescu George's review of the DXP (and direct comparison to the SDJ), I don't think the DXP is an improvement. However, when I look at the transfer functions, there appears to be iterative improvements:

Ultrasone Signature DJ
RgK4UcM.png

Ultrasone Signature DXP
OdIpbBf.png

Ultrasone Signature Pulse
HlTOYxc.png

Ultrasone Signature Master (just for good measure)
FJFRedS.png

I'm leaning toward buying the Pulse for testing against the SDJ, but I can't shake the feeling that it's a downgrade in sound quality.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #64 of 458
Nov 21, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #65 of 458

Then, there is also the Natural on sale for "cyberweek" on Thomann for $350.

If it's close to the master, which I read on here earlier, that might be quite a nice option.

I'd love to try them, (love Ultrasone for closed) just not sure.

I really hate the fit and comfort of these small cup Ultrasones and the pleather which gets too warm.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #67 of 458
Yes, concerns about comfort is also holding me back from getting in on that Drop version, which sounds nice — on paper anyway. Is there any review available of those?
Zeos did a review. I like Ultrasone's pro line for comfort (actually use the 750i as my work headphone / wear it all day) because of the nice velour pads.

The pleathers they use on sig headphones I don't like as they get warm quickly and I cannot stand that. I much prefer genuine pads or velour to fake pleather pads that are heat magnets.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #68 of 458
I'm leaning toward buying the Pulse for testing against the SDJ, but I can't shake the feeling that it's a downgrade in sound quality.

Somehow didn't see your comment until now. I had the same internal struggle on the DJ vs DXP a few years back. I was looking to get an office headphone and I already had (and loved) the DJ at home. I wanted to try the DXP, but I was concerned that it wouldn't sound as good as the DJ, and ultimately would be a waste of money. My concerns with the DXP were that it costed a lot less than the DJ and the materials were going to be inferior. By Ultrasones own account they referred to the DXP as the little brother to the DJ. In the end I took a chance on the DXP and ended up liking it a lot more than the DJ. The DJ is more comfortable with softer plusher earpads, offers a small amount more bass, and a slightly wider sound stage. However it also has recessed mids (which probably is why the stage sounds larger with those mids cut out). The DXP takes most of the bass and sound stage of the DJ, and then fills in the mids to be a much more balanced headphone. Details and technical abilities are about the same between the two. All that said, my hunch from both the design & graphs is that the Pulse is an upgraded DXP, and if so it should be amazing as long as the comfort aspect doesn't bother you. Sound quality between the DJ/DXP/Pulse shouldn;t be an issue, more so what sound signature are you looking for (U/V with the DJ, or a full mostly neutral with added bass sound).

I've resisted long enough. My pulse is on the way so I can offer some comparisons in the coming weeks to the rest of the Signature and Edition lines.

And holy moley, I didn't know that Ultrasone was doing a drop. I'm seriously tempted.

Dec 13, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #69 of 458
Been spending a lot of time comparing the Pulse to the DXP's. It's going to take a lot more time to get a definitive opinion on the Pulse's, but I just wanted to provide an initial opinion based on a day of back and forth comparisons.

For those that have a DXP, the Pulse is clearer, leaner, and offers a deeper sound stage. I say leaner in the sense that the Pulse isn't as thick or warm, not that it's missing any part of the sound spectrum. Having a bit clearer sound the Pulse gives the impression of more micro detail. The thicker DXP obscures some micro details, but at the same time the sound is filled in to give additional texture. Both the DXP and Pulse are excellent. I wouldn't say one is better than the other as it's going to be a preference thing-- do you want the warmth and thickness of the DXP or a more clear and spacious sound of the Pulse? Otherwise they are tuned similarly, which is major positive to me since the tuning is so good. Build wise the Pulse has plusher ear pads and potentially a thicker head band. Comfort wise it's hard to compare since my DXP's are so broken in, but they seem like they will be similar over time.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #70 of 458
Been spending a lot of time comparing the Pulse to the DXP's. It's going to take a lot more time to get a definitive opinion on the Pulse's, but I just wanted to provide an initial opinion based on a day of back and forth comparisons.

For those that have a DXP, the Pulse is clearer, leaner, and offers a deeper sound stage. I say leaner in the sense that the Pulse isn't as thick or warm, not that it's missing any part of the sound spectrum. Having a bit clearer sound the Pulse gives the impression of more micro detail. The thicker DXP obscures some micro details, but at the same time the sound is filled in to give additional texture. Both the DXP and Pulse are excellent. I wouldn't say one is better than the other as it's going to be a preference thing-- do you want the warmth and thickness of the DXP or a more clear and spacious sound of the Pulse? Otherwise they are tuned similarly, which is major positive to me since the tuning is so good. Build wise the Pulse has plusher ear pads and potentially a thicker head band. Comfort wise it's hard to compare since my DXP's are so broken in, but they seem like they will be similar over time.

Both the DXP and Pulse are the best bang for the buck headphones I've ever come across.
With the DXP having a thicker sound, would you say that the Pulse has less bass?

Dec 13, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #71 of 458
Sort of, they have the same general quantity but the DXP has less control. This causes the DXP bass to bleed a bit giving the impression of there being more bass in the space, but it's just some added distortion. The Pulse bass hits cleaner with and more sub bass comes through. End result is that the DXP may slam a bit harder in the mid bass, but the Pulses bass can be more satisfying at times with the same general quantity.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #72 of 458
I see - thank you!

Dec 13, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #73 of 458
The Signature Master is absolutely fantastic. If you thought Ultrasones cannot do midrange, you have to hear this one. The soundstage is massive. The midrange is super detailed, rich. The bass is deep and powerful. There is an authority you get top to bottom with these. It's too bad they are not talked about. I know a few guys here have this one but I have to say I am really digging it. It is like everything I love about Ultrasone tuned up several notches, with a beautifully rich and articulate midrange! They are very melodic sounding too.

Not sure what the folks did at Ultrasone differently here, but it's a special one.

Easily the best Ultrasone I have owned, and I have owned a LOT of them.

On top of that, I can't think of another closed headphone period as agreeable as what I am hearing, either.

They are pretty much knocking my socks off.

Screen Shot 2022-12-13 at 2.46.25 PM.png

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #74 of 458
Great to hear that the Masters are living up to their name! That's the third review here so far saying that the masters are worth it.

When I saw the new Signature line I initially wrote them off since I had most of the old Signature line, and the Editions were better sound quality comparatively. I only got the Pulse since I loved the DXPs so much-- I had to hear the difference. Listening to the Pulse has made me second guess my decision on the new Signature line though. Now hearing how good the Masters are, that they can compete with the Editions, well.. that's a game changer. If I ever have the ability to get another headphone it will have to be either the Masters or the Edition 15's. If anyone ever is able to compare the two in the future, I'd love to hear about the differences. The Masters are considerably less than the 15's, but price never correlates with sound when it comes to Ultrasone.

@e-dub , you've had your masters for a few months. Still liking them?

Dec 13, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #75 of 458
@Dramlin: VERY much so! I need to specify, I listen pretty much to electronic music exclusively (Drum n Bass, Techno, 90s Hip Hop and RnB (long live Jodeci), Electro, House in roughly that order) and the Masters are just that... masterful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back