Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 2nd, 2014 08:00

S2240T, Inspiron 531, Connection Question

I recently purchased a new XPS 8700 computer (yet to be delivered) that goes with the above monitor. In the meantime I changed the hard drive on my Dell Inspiron 531 Desktop and got it working again. I was hoping to connect the new monitor to my Inspiron 531, but the new monitor has an extra connection (VGA), and I get the message "no VGA connection". My Inspiron 531 has no such VGA connection to connect the cable to the new monitor. So my question is: Is there any way I can get the S2240T Monitor to work with my Inspiron 531? Thank you!

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

April 2nd, 2014 14:00

Our tool shows that the 256MB Nvidia 8600GT discrete video card was installed in the Inspiron 531 desktop. When looking at the picture of your system that I posted, the video card is on the very bottom. You need to purchase a DVI cable. Connect one end to the monitor DVI port, and the other end to the DVI port on the bottom video card.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

April 2nd, 2014 10:00

Michael786,

The S2240T has the following video in ports =
HDMI, DVI, VGA

The Inspiron 531 has the following video out ports =
onboard VGA out (see #4 section)
added discrete video card

You fail to mention if your Inspiron 531 has a discrete video card installed in the #5 section? If one is installed, you cannot use the onboard VGA out.

11 Posts

April 2nd, 2014 11:00

The monitor came with two cable type connectors: a USB connector, which could be connected to computer and monitor with no problem, and double ended HDMI connector, which connects to the monitor, but there is no similar HDMI orifice on the Inspiron 531 to connect to the monitor. The simple pictorial installation diagram calls the connector VGA/HDMI/DVI, which I guess permits for three different ways to connect? Should I be trying a different connector which works? As far as the video card, not sure what discrete means; it is not out of the ordinary, and installed inside of the computer.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

April 2nd, 2014 13:00

Correct. We do not provide the DVI-D cable nor the VGA cable with the monitor, only the HDMI cable. Click Here, then click "Send a Private Message". Provide to me the Inspiron desktop service tag number.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

Just post it here. I will copy it and delete it from view.

11 Posts

Great, appreciate your help. Running on Windows 7.

11 Posts

Tried half dozen times to send private message to you (per your request) with service tag number and nothing is going through (hour glass circle keeps turning). :(

11 Posts

Great. That's is how my current Samsung Monitor is connected now. Is there a designation model code since the DVIs seem to vary?

11 Posts

April 2nd, 2014 15:00

Went into my bag of DVI connectors, found one the same at both ends, found an adapter, and got everything up and running. Thanks for your help!

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

April 2nd, 2014 22:00

Awesome!

No Events found!