Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 4th, 2010 03:00

Inspiron 531 Hot-Rodding project

Just wanted to sign in to thank the members of this site for all the information I was able to gather in my quest to boost the performance (while maintaining a minimal price point) of my old Dell Inspiron 531 desktop.

Bought it for my oldest daughter (I think about 3 years ago) to do homework on it, it was a $349 Dell low-buck special back then.

She has since bought her own laptop and moved out, so the computer wasn't being used. I dragged it out of storage and commenced to modding it.

Originally shipped with a Sempron 3600+ processor, single DVD drive and just 512 Mb of RAM, I set about adding the following to it:

-additional DVD burner drive (cheap on EBAY)

-4 Gb of RAM (also cheap on EBAY)

-ATI Radeon 1800XL video card (totally free from a friend)

-500 watt PSU (EBAY to the rescue again, cheap)

-additional SATA HD for storage that I had sitting around in a drawer, perfectly good

-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor , with correct cooler and fan (yep, another EBAY find)

-Windows 7 Professional 32 bit edition

Apologies for the messy cabling, I had just finished the upgrades, and haven't gotten around to neatening up everything just yet:

November 4th, 2010 03:00

Everything went 100% smoothly, all hardware was auto detected by Windows, all drivers were auto-installed or picked up through Windows Update, the entire process was absolutely seamless.

Performance is really snappy now, I have no hangs, no BSOD's, boot time is super fast, the processor and memory are represented properly in "Computer" properties, and device manager shows no goofy hardware or missing drivers.

I re-ran the assesment later and the memory score went up to 7.0

Also have an 8 Gb USB drive in the PC with ReadyBoost enabled.

Next on the agenda is a media card reader, and another friend has a free sound card waiting for me, which may be an improvement over the built-in audio, but I'm not sure until I can see the card and determine it's specs.

729 Posts

November 4th, 2010 09:00

Good job.  Beware that if you install a Dell media card reader the boot time will take over 30 seconds.  This is a known issue that Dell never addressed.  Probably because very few people who ordered an Inspiron 531 included a media reader with their order.  I tried one time and sure enough POST time took over 30 seconds, so I decided against installing one.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 4th, 2010 11:00

veefer800canuck

Great upgrade.  :emotion-21:

One question, did you have any issues with the Win7 32-bit drivers for the Inspiron 531?

Bev.

November 4th, 2010 19:00

Very interesting, thanks for the heads-up.

I had posted another Q on the board regarding the media card reader and later on, I answered it myself. It's P/N W812M

http://www.txcesssurplus.com/servlet/the-6577/Dell-Inspiron-531-537st/Detail

But if it caused slow bootup, I may not get that one. I'll keep looking, thanks.

November 4th, 2010 19:00

Absoloutely none.

Win7 installed perfectly, no hangs. Validation was painless. Any drivers that did not auto-install during initial setup were picked up through Windows Update.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 4th, 2010 21:00

Absoloutely none.

Win7 installed perfectly, no hangs. Validation was painless. Any drivers that did not auto-install during initial setup were picked up through Windows Update.

veefer800canuck

Thank you, appreciate the heads up.

Bev.

No Events found!