Honda classic?

Has Honda ever make a classic or a car that goes down in history as something special?

Of the Japanese manufacturers Toyota has the 2000GT and the AE86, Mazda has the RX3, MX5, and some would say the RX7, Nissan has the Skyline GTR, Mitz maybe the EVO's, and Subaru the WRX?

But what will be Hondas classic. S2000, NSX, N360?

I would argue the N360 is one of the more classic Honda's, that and the Honda Z as well (which I adore!)

frontcomp.jpg

MicroRU02_HondaZ600_01.jpg

Then you had things like the Honda 1300 sedan, and the Coupe 7/9 in the early 70's, which in their time were fairly advanced FWD designs... multiple carbs on some models much like their motorbikes as I understand... probably not so much sought after here or worldwide as in Japan though?

honda1.jpg

And then, the S500, S600, S800 coupes and convertibles, who could forget these stunning little cars, not so much 'special' I guess however.

hondas_s500_2.jpg

4f4a4206ff89b66c3ec5f173e72e77d3.jpg

Perfect 8) ^^^^^

NSX has pretty good credentials I think to qualify as a classic, especially as it was/could be heralded as Japan's first real attempt at a supercar.

eg9 coz it started the whole fast and furious thing and duh..coz i have one. integra type r's coz even the haters like them deep inside. crx's. their so unique. thats my opinion for this thread

lol at EG9

My 2 cents: Honda are on the map for their engines, they destroyed every other engine builder in cart years ago and even their most basic engines keep going just look at what was done to the Honda Cub on World greatest motorbikes, not to mention V-Tec of course!!!

I can't see the EG becoming a classic, they were basically just designed as a nana's car.

I agree with Bob on the engines, they're a masterpiece. Which really just leaves the EF9 as a bit of a classic with the VTEC engine in the best looking Honda.

First Gen CRX because it was so bold and different and quick at the time too. (in late 1984) it also really kicked off Mugens road car packages and off the sheff racing parts for the dohc ZC which started life as half a formula 1 early '80's v8.

crx2.jpg

EF8 crx, first dohc vtec, and legenary at the time. First large scale production car to honestly boast 100hp to the litre. (this is the Si pictured but it looks basically the same)

crx-ad-jeff-gees.jpg

I think the CRX's will always be more memorable than Civic's in the future, mainly because they were so unique and the fact that they were discontinued in the mid 90's. The CRX 2nd gen completely owned the performance japanese car scene back in the early '90's and were one of the first japanese cars to really prove to the displacement generation that jappers can go like the clappers. (proven by the amount of them that got wrapped around lamp posts)

Of course the type R will be a classic.

The NSX will be and so will the S2000 no doubt about it.

Just as valid as the options you gave for the other Japanese manufacturers thats for sure.

-EF9 for sure

-1996 Integra Type R in ten or so years time

I think that will be it.

I think Evo (? maybe someone else) magazine did a "what cars from each company will become classics?" article, and they picked the EG6. Fair enough, it could well become a classic.

Honda S600 and S800 are DEFINITELY classics in their own right (not just to people who are into Jap cars) Same with the Datsun Fairlady of the time. Pretty little convertibles that had interesting (if not ultimately effective) engineering inside.

NSX a future classic for sure... S2000, it's debatable since it wasn't really anything special apart from its engine and it was never as iconic (in global terms) as Maxda's MX5... but there's definitely a chance the S2000 could bnecome a classic in years to come.

i agree with the EF8 and the NA1 -

the EF8 was never made to be a shopping basket it was honest in your face sporty lil pocket rocket

NA1 Japans 1st Supercar and a huge leap in technology, even on todays market they are still awesome cars and stand out as a true supercar - just ask topgear haha

DC2 Type R >> EF8

How could the EF8 even compare? In terms of being a classic, the only area the EF8 beats the DC2R is being 6 or 7 years older, which is nothing in the grand scheme of classic cars :P

NSX >> All other Honda's

Self-explanatory really :thumbsup:

Ummm... LOL @ EG9. The Fast and the Furious civic were coupes as far as I remember :P So yea!

As far as performance cars go, the S600/S800, EF8/9, and the DC2R defnitely. Then the EB Civic was a classic in its own right, very common, those things rocked the world - even seen in the movie Pulp Fiction.

Ummm... LOL @ EG9. The Fast and the Furious civic were coupes as far as I remember :P So yea!

As far as performance cars go, the S600/S800, EF8/9, and the DC2R defnitely. Then the EB Civic was a classic in its own right, very common, those things rocked the world - even seen in the movie Pulp Fiction.

the one that was in the first race was a sedan.

also DA6. the car that gets 16-19 year olds laid when slammed on 17's au.

and city turbo of course and EB civics.

Yeah didn't mean to mock the Type R, I guess it depends on interpretation of "classic"? I tend to think of something that was so different it stood out, technically or just being a bit outrageous.

So yeah, The EB Civic (changed the way we looked at small cars), City Turbo (both versions, who else would Turbo a shopping trolley?), Gen 1 Si CRX (pocket rocket indeed, my intro to all this), EF8/9 (the VTEC combo caught everyone napping), NSX (just for being a Supercar) - all good choices IMHO

I like Hondas 8)

Heh, I've got to agree with the EB and City Turbo. Have done quite a bit with both recently. The City was an amazing piece of engineering; well, the engine more than anything. CVCC turbo... amazing. And the EB is just THE classic Honda I reckon, the car that really got Honda started, here anyway. I've been wanting one for years, and now I have two...!

f.

DC2 Type R >> EF8

How could the EF8 even compare? In terms of being a classic, the only area the EF8 beats the DC2R is being 6 or 7 years older, which is nothing in the grand scheme of classic cars :P

EF8/9 were the flagship 'sporty' honda of that period, although there was also the DA6 at that time.

Its funny how everyone suggests the EF and EG's instead of the DA and DC of the same era, but as soon as the ITR comes along the civics don't even get a mention! :|

Not exactly something special, but classic in it's own right IMO.

hondacivic1972kf4.jpg

I would call the NSX a classic though. It was built as the people's supercar, and I would argue the first 'user friendly' supercar. Although it never sold in large numbers outside of Japan, it caused Ferrari to rethink it's position, and generally raised the standards of sports and supercar production.

refresh21280bh8.th.jpg

(click for big)

NSX type r is a classic , they sold a lot less then the base model, and the performance has increase heaps as well.. truely classic japanese super car...

umm on the other hand ,s2000 and dc2r is maybe a classic in the honda histroy...just my 2c